DAAP (iTunes) server running and packaged

I've been working for some time to digitize my family's music collection, and I'm pleased to be mostly done with hundreds of CD's ripped, tagged, and served on my home network.

The latest piece is a DAAP server for the Apple devices. There are only a couple for Linux that have seen any recent development, so I settled on forked-daapd. There is also dmapd, which could be excellent. However, neither one had an ebuild available, and so if I was going to do a source build of a large project, I chose the one with the most recent activity.

I succeeded in the manual build, and iTunes found my library immediately. I wanted to go a step further and prepare an ebuild. I gave it a new overlay, also, since the Gentoo leadership advocates "themed overlays" instead of "Erik's-super-cool-stuff" type of overlay. Here is the overlay in a browsable and cloneable form. I may get it into layman, and I may also make future efforts to keep up with the version bumps, especially since the next version promises some mpd integration.

The digitizing stack

I haven't written yet about this effort, so here's the stack I use:

Never done

When I say it's pretty much done, that means the media is accessible and my wife is impressed, no easy feat. Remaining tasks include the MediaTomb rebuild mentioned above, and also lots of tag cleaning. Specifically, I have a couple of classical box sets where the four discs didn't receive the same tags, and so they look like four releases. Also, there are errors.

End the madness

There are too many devices at my house, and something always needs fixing. I've set a moratorium on getting new devices because the sysadmin overhead gets unwieldy. Remind me to blog about the VOIP setup...


This has been a nice way to wind down a large project. I hope someone else finds this useful, and considers the ebuild.

03/15/2015 by stasibear Permalink
development media